Friday, February 12, 2010

Double Merle, Australian Shepherd puppy


Three days before Thanksgiving, 2009, after a month of searching the internet for a rescue puppy, I discovered this Double Merle, Aussie, and saw that she might possibly be blind and deaf. After doing some research, I learned that "Merle" is a gene and that a "Double Merle" is a dog with two Merle genes. Double Merle puppies are born when both parents are Merle. The thought of partnering with a dog that could be both blind and deaf was daunting, yet, the thought of this adorable and sweet puppy, living life blind and deaf in a shelter with 150 other dogs was horrifying. I immediately emailed the shelter with my application and expressed my desire to drive to Georgia, asap. I didn't sleep much that night, and I got up in the morning absolutely convinced that this blue eyed beauty, would come to join me in the mountains of West Virginia.

Later that morning, I received an email informing me that the adoption had been approved. An hour later, I was on my way to Georgia to pick her up!

No comments:

Post a Comment